Monday, July 13, 2009

LA Day One: Conversations With A PowerBroker

It is one of those relationships that really doesn't make sense: One of Hollywood's biggest power-brokers and a nobody minister from Texas. The relationship started five years ago. A long story-but it exists and on paper, it makes absolutely no sense. We touch base on and off each year. "How's life?" "How's the family?" That kind of thing. Whenever his Lakers play my Spurs (especially if my Spurs lose), the banter goes back and forth. He represents people like Denzel, Shakira, Robert Downey Jr., Russell Crowe, Beyonce, Liam Neeson, Hugh Jackman...to name a few.

I represent Baptist Student Ministries @ UTSA. (Now I know I represent Someone far Greater than these 'stars'-so don't get all spiritual on me-you get the point...it's not like we run in the same circles). He lives in Beverly Hills and has this incredible office in this amazing building on Melrose Ave. I live, well, I don't exactly live in Beverly Hills and I work out of a cubicle. He's in LA, I'm in SA. He is an observant Jew, I am a follower of Christ. He is talking about Iron Man II being in production. I'm looking forward to going to Iron Man II whenever it comes out. The whole thing just doesn't make sense. But God put this strangely wonderful relationship together and the conversation and dialogue continues.

I told him I was coming back to LA, bringing about 19 students with me to work with various ministries on Skid Row and among the urban poor in South Central LA. He doesn't get why we would travel all that way to LA to not (in his words) "have some fun!" but nonetheless he says, "Drop by and bring them all up. Want to meet them."

His schedule is tight. He has the whole power-lunch thing going on, the many appointments with the movers and shakers of Hollywood-and this guy says, "Yeah, bring your college students up here. Look forward to seeing you again and look forward to meeting your kids." Who does that in Hollywood?

Crazy.

So we land in LA. Most of us had little to no sleep the night before, arriving at the airport at this ridiculous hour to get to LA. The main objective of our first day is to get our vehicles and get checked into our dorms and go through some training for the week and hopefully stay awake for it all. Our appointment with him is on day one. I have no idea what to expect when I show up. Past face to face meetings were one on one, or my family and him hanging out. Very relaxed, always enjoyable-but I wasn't towing a tribe of college students with me during those times. This meeting will be a bit different. All I know is that he is a great guy, authentic (seriously)-and that for some reason he has let me in his world.

He's my age. We have kids who are the same age. Family is extremely important to him. We do have commonalities. Past conversations lasted 30-45 minutes, again, rather surreal since I'm sure he has 'people to see, places to go,' that kind of Hollywood thing going on. I wonder what he's going to do with 20 of us in his office. Maybe 5 minutes of meet and greet?

My family and I are in prayer for him. We have been for years. I have had conversations with him about faith, about life, priorities, goals, family....He's been given a book to read as well as a couple of well produced DVD's-and still the conversation continues-he hasn't shut me out. Bringing a bunch of college students to his office, I wonder, is this a bit too much?

But God gave us an appointment with him and we show up. I have no idea what to expect this time. We fill the waiting room. Rather uncomfortably fill the waiting room. The receptionist has this "Who are these people and why are they here?" look going on. She's more curious than annoyed-her response to us showed this kind of thing just doesn't happen in this office. In time, his assistant notifies him we are here. Again, I wonder what to expect. Soon another assistant brings out this large box of bottled water. "Anyone thirsty?" We grab our water bottles. Then we are told he'd like to meet us in the conference room across the hall, which to me is pretty amazing.

He comes out of his office and he's dressed quite casually, wearing a baseball jersey and jeans. After our appointment he's leaving to coach his son's baseball team. We exchange the 'man hug' backslap, hey bro how's it going kind of thing and he enters the room.

As he surveys the group I'm wondering what he's thinking. Then he starts talking-asking questions. Why are you guys here? Where are you going? Is this guy (me) going to let you all have fun in LA? He asks each student his or her name. He cracks jokes.

We tell him why we are in LA, we talk about The Soloist (Downey, another of his clients, starred in that true story). I ask him if guys like Downey ever realize how they have this positive impact on people's lives when they make such a film, if they are ever thanked. I was just curious.

He tells me "thanks" isn't something you hear much in Hollywood. The few times he's received "thanks" really stand out to him. We all make mental note of this. Gratitude and grace are in short supply in this industry.

He then tells us about lecturing at UCLA earlier that morning. He loves kids. He talked about the dangers of "playing it safe" of the importance of risk, of accepting failure as part of the learning and growing process, of not fearing failure, but rather learning from it and moving forward. He challenges the students to move out of their comfort zones and this is timely because we will be out of our comfort zones in the week ahead. We take note of this as well.

He spends a little over thirty minutes with this group. Again, it's not like he had to do this or that we are 'important people' in his world-but nonetheless he spends the time. It never felt rushed or awkward. It's as if this was something important to him on some level, and this too is something I take note of.

We speak of family and priorities and he quotes Denzel as something he values: "I work to make a living, but my family is my life." You probably didn't think you'd hear something like that coming out of Hollywood. But it's him. He's a big family guy.

Now you might be thinking: "When did you all break out the Four Spiritual Laws tract and share the Gospel with him?" Well, that didn't happen. So why did we go? What was the point of it all? Just to say we hung out with this really powerful guy in this amazing conference room? No. First, he is my friend, not a project. Second, and most importantly, God was present in that room and in that conversation.

You see, my friend is still trying to wrap his mind around a few things: First, why would anyone willingly fly across the country to come to LA to spend most of their time on....Skid Row? Why would people fly all the way to LA to spend time in some of the worst places in LA? What is the motivation? What is so different about these people? Second, he's trying to figure out this whole grace thing. He sees it and senses it and is trying to wrap his mind around it all.

He knows our being there, that 'something different' has something to do with our faith in Christ. He sees something in this group he doesn't see elsewhere and it is intriguing to him. There is a 'disconnect' for him and he's I'm sure he's also processing this strange relationship with this guy from Texas and these students he just met. He is also, I am sure, processing something within that says this whole group is doing something more than just religious activities...

Our stories speak to him. God is using this relationship. The spiritual soil is being tilled. Seeds are planted and watered...we continue to pray for him. I am trusting that the God Over All Creation will, in His Sovereignty continue to use this relationship and will bring other followers of Christ into His life. I am trusting that the Spirit of the Living God will continue to draw him to the Living Christ. I believe He is Big enough to do all of this and more, and in some way He will use this last meeting with a bunch of students he's never met to continue to speak Truth into his life.

So this was the beginning of our trip. Starting off our time in Los Angeles at the pinnacle of power, to soon plunge into the depths of the forgotten, the disposable was somewhat surreal. But He loves my friend as much as He loves the forgotten ones on Skid Row.

Pray for him. I do not feel comfortable giving you his name, but God knows who he is. We talk a lot about the 'power of prayer.' We affirm with our lips that God can do anything, that He can move mountains, that no one is beyond His ability to redeem. But sometimes, if we are honest, there is a part of us that reveals we may not believe that as much as we say we do. I am asking (and I am sure my students are as well) that you join us in praying for him. Consistently. I'm not saying that if he comes to Christ there will be this tremendous mass movement towards Christ in Hollywood as a result. I am simply saying he is a friend and I am praying he comes to know Christ. He matters to me.

Pray for me as well. This "strange" friendship is there for a reason. I do not believe in accidents or coincidences when it comes to God. Pray for wisdom and that our conversations would continue to grow in terms of depth and Gospel.

This is just one of many stories to share. Each story, each person matters-and maybe that's the thing. People aren't disposable-whether they live in Beverly Hills or on Skid Row. People matter. They matter to God and they sure should matter to us. We don't live for ourselves. It's not about us. It's about Him. His mission.

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many."

Including my friend.

No comments: