Monday, July 13, 2009

LA Stories: The Ignorant, Englightened and Conversations in Spiritually Dark Places

Our second day in Los Angeles was spent trying to understand some of the spiritual influences on the city. It was an interesting way to gain some perspective on the city before we plunged into the despair that is Skid Row and South Central Los Angeles. Our first stop was at the Scientology Centre. Our second stop...the largest Buddhist Temple in America, Hsi Lai.

As our caravan pulled onto the property of Hsi Lai we couldn't help but be impressed. So much land, so many beautiful trees, the site occupying a mountain side-and the architecture, straight out of China. The temple itself was built by Chinese with Chinese money and designed to replicate the great temples in China. It felt as if we were in another land, and in so many ways, we were. As we ascended the stairs (and there were many) that led to the entrance of the temple, it would be an understatement to say we were a bit awe struck. The facility is simply huge. The various buildings of the temple continue to ascend upwards, quite an incredible place. Everything was pristine, as one might imagine. Buddhists pay great attention to the smallest details, everything is done as art, as a reflection of their 'spirituality.'

We were greeted by Mae Chu, who organizes group tours for the temple. Immediately we were taken to a hospitality room where we were offered either hot green tea (made correctly as Mae pointed out-because there is an art as well to making Chinese green tea properly) or water. The first impression we had was that of a very hospitable people making us feel quite at home, concerned that we were comfortable and prepared for our two and a half hour tour.

After a few minutes, we were introduced to our guide, a female monk, the "Venerable Ru Lan" a woman with a shaved head, a monk's robe-somewhere in her late 20's or early 30's. Ru Lan carried herself gracefully as if every step she took had meaning and was again, itself an act of spiritual expression.

Ru Lan was a master teacher. She spent two hours with us, taking us from one area of the temple to another, explaining Buddhism, what every statue meant, what every piece of art of every symbol meant. She would 'teach' us by asking us questions. As our tour unfolded she shared many of the Dharma's of Buddhism (teachings), and her veneration for the Buddha, her commitment to this way of life was undeniable.

While there, it was not uncommon to see worshipers come into the temple, offer something on the altar before the Buddhas (whether food, or coins or something personal) and devoutly begin to meditate and or pray. They take their religion quite seriously.

We learned much about Buddhism. It is one thing to read about the tenets of Buddhism, another to hear it first hand from a 'master' and to see it in practice. While there, C.S. Lewis' remarks came to mind. I believe he said that were it not for him coming to know the truth of Christianity he would have made a marvelous Hindu. For me, if it were not for the grace of God bringing me to the Living Christ, in my flesh, Buddhism would have been the 'religion' that would have most appealed to me.

But while we were there, as the tour continued, my heart broke. So much veneration, so much eagerness to escape the wheel of karma, so much desperation for this peace that Buddhism promises, fleshed out all around us.

Ru Lan spoke to us about the basic tenets of Buddhism, and as our conversation continued, it became clear-she was not there to 'evangelize' us, but rather to 'open our minds' that we might gain some light, become interested in Buddhism, that we might pursue that path (and we were given materials to encourage us to investigate Buddhism), because at the core, she was the enlightened one and we were dull, ignorant ones if you will, to the realities around us, bound by karma but able to break free if we would embrace the Dharmas and the Buddha's way of life. Ru Lan was doing her best to 'enlighten us' because at times you could tell she felt some kind of sympathy for us, stuck in our 'ignorance'-but all she could or would do was to give us more of the Dharmas and ask us more questions (they are big on teaching by asking questions) to hopefully spark something inside of us. I made note of this as well.

At each point along the way we had opportunity to ask questions (and she asked us MANY questions to stimulate our thinking). At one particular point, she was going over some of the virtues of Buddhism, and I noted compassion was present, but strangely, love was absent. She asked if there were any questions. I commended her on understanding the importance of compassion (even though we had a different concept of what compassion is and does), and then asked her about love. What does Buddhism have to say about love, that kind of love that commits to another-an act of the will, sacrificial love? (We would as followers of Christ call that 'agape love.') and she had no framework for that. Her explanation, for the first time on our tour, was not clear. Perhaps it caught her off guard. I think she had no framework for that kind of love. I made note of this.

As our tour continued, her enthusiasm for explaining her faith continued to grow. She was graceful, gracious and a patient guide. Our students asked many questions and in so many ways, the questions asked were bridges to the Gospel. I do not know how she processed the questions, but I do believe the Holy Spirit used those questions and will use those questions for further dialogue (more on that later).

The thing that struck me as I read the literature and as I listened to her and others within the temple, is the desire to break free from their cyclical view of life and death and bad karma. Their devotion is in part fueled by both a desire to break free and a fear of not breaking free. And the key to that breaking free is adherence to the Dharmas, to living right lives, very much self-effort.

There is no concept of a Savior, of One who came to Redeem us. There is no outside help. This is definitely a do it yourself kind of deliverance, and this too broke my heart. There are no guarantees, only the hope that somehow if doing that which is good from the Buddhist perspective, the cycle will eventually be broken.

As our tour winded down, that question about love-the kind of love that Christ demonstrates towards us, the kind of love that should characterize all followers of Christ became my core question, my burning desire-that thing I HAD to discuss with her in private. As she said farewell and thank you to our group, she walked away gracefully to her quarters. I, not so gracefully, raced after her to ask if it would be possible for our conversation to continue. I told her I was a follower of Christ and that I would be quite honored to continue this conversation with her about life, reality, truth if she was willing. I told her I would like to learn more about her story and that I would enjoy a mutual exchange. Surprisingly she was open. She said I could send her emails (I think I'll cover one topic or question at a time, given my propensity for lengthy writings) and that Mae would get them to her, and she would respond. This is on my list of things I must begin this week. So, please pray for Ru Lan, and for Mae Chu-and for me as well.

But there were several things about our time there that stood out-questions that came to mind:

1) Their hospitality to the outsider was exemplary. What if 'outsiders' to Christianity experienced the same kind of hospitality from God's people? They were quite sensitive to our being outsiders and empathetic to how that must feel, and they went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. Honestly, we Christians could do a little better in this department.

2) Their attention to detail-what they might being fully attentive in each moment-was also impressive. As I read the Psalms, I see David taking note of the stars and creation and praising God for the beauty that is all around him, a reflection of the Glory of God. Sometimes I think the fast paced American culture shapes us so much we don't notice a tenth of what is going on around us. While I may not begin practicing the art of 'mindfulness' when making my next cup of hot green tea, I certainly can be more mindful of the people around me, the opportunities to bless, to love-and I can certainly slow down enough to see how all of creation declares the Glory of God.

3) The intensity of their devotion spoke as well. Granted, from my perspective, much of that was driven by this desire to escape bad karma-but shouldn't our devotion to the One who loved us, delivered us, set us free provoke this amazing love response to Him? And again, if we are honest, sometimes we are neither hot or cold-and this is tragic. His love should compel us to a life of love, service, worship-to follow Him with unparalleled devotion.

4) Beauty. I read the Psalms and again, I see David amazed by the beauty that is around him, an understanding that this beauty is a reflection of God's Beauty. And again, I think we are missing out on something here. Yes, life is difficult, and there are trials, but God has placed beauty all around us, whether it is the created order, or the people in our lives.

5) Teaching style. I've heard countless preachers preach countless sermons and honestly, sometimes it's as if I'm listening to someone fly by the seat of their pants, little depth and information, and little in the way of engaging the audience. I'm sure I've preached my fair share of sermons that just bombed as well. Her teaching style encouraged us to think and to interact with what she was saying, very engaging. What if we were more thoughtful about the way we are communicating with people? I look at the Gospels and I see Jesus, the Master Teacher, asking questions, using imagery and metaphors, challenging people to think and to respond, not merely be passive listeners. For Ru Lan, the message she was sharing was of supreme importance. As such, she paid great attention to detail as she communicated. We have THE Message, and yet sometimes, perhaps because we are 'too comfortable with the holy' we do not think carefully through what we are sharing. It must be understandable, applicable-and it should be informative to the outsider.

There is more to tell, it is too difficult to explain all we were told, all we were taught in this entry-but I do know that God has opened a door for further dialogue with Ru Lan and Mae, and for that I am thankful.

The next day would be surreal for us, our tour of Los Angeles over, and plunging into the darkness and despair among the least of these. Those stories will follow.

No comments: