Monday, July 13, 2009

Saturday Morning With Freddie on Skid Row

Another morning with just a few hours of sleep, fatigue starting to set in, but we were excited for this day, so the tired and weary shuffled to the vehicles to spend Saturday on Skid Row (we didn't know that would be our assignment-we just knew we'd be somewhere where the needs would be great). When you go to the Dream Center for "Adopt A Block," you receive your assignments at the site, and load up your group on the assigned bus to go to the assigned place. We had no idea where we would be going-we just knew it would be a challenge.

We arrived at the Dream Center for an hour of prayer and preparation. You don't go to any place they send you, any block they have "Adopted" without spiritual preparation. You don't go to these places with a sense that you are adequate in your own strength and wisdom. You are keenly aware that you need Him as Shield, Protector, Wisdom...you just know you need Him to do this through you because you are completely inadequate.

The time of prayer was incredible, and necessary. By the time they assigned us to our buses for "Adopt A Block" we were ready for whatever they had. They divided our group into two groups (I'm only able to share the experience of my group from my perspective), and our group was going to Skid Row. This was not going to be one of those 'in and out' missions, this would be two hours of walking the streets, among the people-who are everywhere...being present-our little group of 20 or so, among...well, a lot of people.

Our 'guide' was a kid named Freddy. Late 20's, he was and is an incredible story. Before Christ rescued him, he was, as so many we met, involved in a gang-lost, doing things his own way. He is an introspective person, rather quiet, a thinker-the words that come to mind when I think of him are "humility," "intensity" "love" "compassion"..."calm"...and he has an old soul in many ways. Mature beyond his years. Quiet, but when he speaks, the words matter, they carry a certain weight, insightful words.

Freddy knows what it's like to be at a relative's Quincienera (probably misspelled-but a big celebration in Hispanic culture-a girl's 15th Birthday Celebration)-and to have that day interrupted by gunshots, people screaming, bleeding family, chaos...world turned upside down. That is a small snapshot of his past.

Jesus Christ reached down and rescued Freddy, saved him, transformed him, and to Freddy, Jesus IS life, and he can't get enough of Scripture, taking it all in, memorizing it, thinking it through...consumed with wanting to know Him. Freddy is reflective and takes this business of following Jesus quite seriously. I get the feeling that Freddy has seen hundreds of groups come in and 'help' by 'giving up a Saturday' once a year or so, perhaps to make themselves feel better, perhaps to help for the right reasons, but he has this disposition where you can tell he's not impressed by people playing religious games, this is real to him and he takes this following business seriously. He is not aloof, but you can tell he is trying to discern if the group with him is serious about what God wants to do, or if this is just a field trip to them.

This young man, slightly built, neatly dressed, with tightly woven dreadlocks, and a Bible in his hand and a sense of purpose and focus to minister to those on Skid Row is our guide. I am fascinated by him.

As we approach the drop off point, you can't help but notice what's going on around you. People everywhere. Sleeping on the streets, in alleys, some setting up shop for the day with grocery carts, milling around-others just walking around-who knows where, and some sitting down, just thinking about making it through another day.

Skid Row is a place where people are forgotten. Disposable people. People who have given up on hope, and people who others have given up on-all present. There is mental illness, drug and alcohol addiction, but there is also the common man who lost his job, kept trying to make it, and somehow, found himself here, and eventually, he just gave up on everything.

Skid Row can also be a violent place-sometimes desperate people, or people with mental illness, or people fueled by drugs, well, they just do things-things you hear about on the evening news. There is lostness, there is also despair-and the combination of the two makes for a combustible mix at times.

We get off the bus and Freddy tells us: "We usually have food to pass out along with copies of "Daily Bread," but today, we don't have food-so we're going to walk around and check up on people and give out copies of the devotional. Stick together and be ready for whatever God has for us."

And that's it. So we're going to walk Skid Row with nothing to meet physical needs, just literature-and we're going to check on people and see what God has for us. We start walking, and honestly, as we are walking, there are a lot of silent prayers going up, "Lord, whatever you want...prepare us. Help us to see where you are working here."

We have taken perhaps 10 steps when out of nowhere, a driver pulls up and says, "Hey, I have all of these apples-you guys want them?" And, before you know it, God has provided-and we have sacks of apples to pass out.

I don't believe in coincidences like this. I do believe God does amazing things.

Off we go. As we walk around, I notice something-people on Skid Row know Freddy.

"Freddy! What's up my man?"

"Freddy, what's the news today?"

On it goes. Freddy leads us to different people. He's checking up on people he knows and continues to check on people he's still getting to know.

Freddy is the pastor of Skid Row. It's not a formal title-but an earned one. They know him, and he knows them. This speaks to me. I wonder how many of us would apply for that pastoral position? Freddy lives at the Dream Center-so he has a roof over his head and gets three squares a day and minimal pay. But he's chosen this because he believes He has been called to do this. He has embraced this place, these people-and it shows.

Over time, we start to feel more comfortable on Skid Row and while staying in Freddy's field of vision, start talking to other people, checking on them. Praying with them. Sharing food and Scripture with them, talking about Jesus with them-and it's an amazing experience.

We're walking around this one street and I hear (as only a true basketball fan would hear) something surreal...the sound of someone on a mike calling a game, and the unmistakable sound of shoes shuffling and a ball bouncing and people cheering...I am drawn to this. What is going on?

I walk around the corner and find this spot, someone has made this a special place on Skid Row for the homeless to have fun, release tension, get some exercise-and I see small bleachers set up, guys playing basketball, and on the court are players, playing in donated jerseys, and this is a serious game. The guy on the makeshift PA has given all the players nicknames, and he's calling this game like it's game 7 of the NBA finals-pumped up, making comments on everything that's going on.

Before I know it, I'm sitting next to a man named William. Watching it all. It's not pretty basketball, but the guys are having fun. I turn to William and introduce myself. He's friendly, pleasant. He smiles and introduces himself. I ask him if there were some serious ballers' out there and he laughs.

"No...we're all past our prime...this is just for fun."

Past our prime-I wonder if maybe that is how many feel about life in general on Skid Row. Life has come and gone and they are just waiting out the inevitable.

We talk. William is open. We watch the game together and for this moment, God and basketball and conversation converge and we're having a great time. I'm not thinking "I'm on Skid Row"-it's just this wonderful moment where two guys are talking and watching a game.

When the game is over, I start asking William about himself. He's an open book. He asks me if I'm a preacher. I always struggle with that one, in my new ministry position-I preach from time to time, but...

So I tell him, 'Well, I'm a follower of Christ, and I do work with a ministry-but I'm just here to check on you, see how you're doing."

William gets serious. He explains how he once followed Christ and how over time, he lost his way, and in losing his way, he ended up losing family, job, and somehow ended up here. I talk with him about the Message, and offer him a copy of Daily Bread-which he eagerly receives.

I ask him what he'd like to pray about-and he doesn't miss a beat. He quickly says, "I know Jesus is my only Hope. I know He's real and He's the Truth. I got hooked on drugs. I want to follow Him. He can put this all back together. I've been clean now for three days. Pray that I will do what He wants me to do and that I will stay clean."

That's honesty. That's powerful. So in the midst of all of these people, we pray. And after we pray-William gives me a hug. His eyes, a bit teary, but he's smiling. "Thanks brother. Thanks."

And as our conversation comes to a close, our time together, I see Freddy on the other side of the courtyard, a big man yelling at him, so I walk with others towards that area. I don't know what I think I am going to be able to do, but we all gather around, because our guide is taking a verbal beating.

As we approach Freddy, the man continues yelling, and starts walking away.

Freddy never yells back, never gets angry. We stay in this courtyard a bit longer and then head back out to the streets.

"He's an angry guy. He's Muslim, and he likes to stir up problems whenever I'm around here. Tells people lies about me, about what we're doing...I just pray for him."

And we move on. Freddy 'gets it' as pastor-not everyone is going to love you or what you're doing-but you do what your called to do, regardless of opposition. Pastoring is not easy. Freddy know this. Opposition doesn't stop him from doing what he's called to do, what he knows he is to do.

We are finishing up our time, and Freddy said he needs to check on someone. He tells us about a lady in a wheelchair who is usually out in front of LAMP (the rescue mission featured in the movie 'The Soloist'-the movie about Nathaniel Ayers)-so we go there, but she's not around. He asks some people if they know where she is. They don't. Freddy starts talking to these people as well.

As that conversation ends, Freddy asks us if we saw the movie-and we all had (part of training for LA)-and he tells us that this woman and others on Skid Row were extras in the movie, part of the deal to produce it, so a portion of the money would go back to the missions.

I saw the movie twice so I have to ask "Does Nathaniel come out here much?" We all want to know-would love to meet the REAL Nathaniel.

Freddy lowers his head and says, "Nathaniel was shot Easter Sunday. You didn't know that?'

We didn't. The media told us about Nathaniel's life and this amazing movie that captured his story-but they didn't tell us he was murdered shortly after it's release. They forgot that part.

Nathaniel saw a murder. He did the right thing and told the police. For that, he paid the price. Shot in cold blood on Easter Sunday.

We look up, and we are standing under LAMP's sign. It is a surreal moment.

"Yeah, it's very sad" Freddy says, and then we move along.

The apples are gone, the Daily Bread is gone, and we are going back to our bus.

So much to process, so much seen, so much heard, and I realize that when we leave, life goes on for the masses on Skid Row...and there is this part of me that wants to fix everything, but I know I can't.

God is the one who does such things, and I am not Him.

But as we board the bus, Freddy quietly sits down, and it hits me. "God is present-always present everywhere, but all too often we aren't aware of His presence. Freddy knows Jesus is on Skid Row, and Freddy goes there to be a part of what Jesus is doing. Three to five times a week, Freddy is out there checking on his people, God's people....bringing Light and Hope and Truth and Grace and Love into this context.

Pastor to Skid Row.

Watching Freddy navigate the area, talking to people, knowing so many of their situations and stories, watching him flesh out Christ I am reminded of Jesus' words about the first being last and the last being first-and while Freddy may never pastor a church, or gain any public attention-He's walking with God, and He's about the Father's business in virtual anonymity....and I think that when it's all said and done, Freddy is going to be somewhere near the front of that line...

No comments: